Skip to main content

This is my first stab at blogging!

Heard the good news about the latest Intel Processor? I have been waiting for this processor for a long time. The conroe (for desktops) and merom (for mobile platforms) are out. I am so glad that Intel finally did something new and innovative, lessons mostly learnt from AMD. The processor has better performance/watt. I love having laptops with the latest "stuff" and so usually end up purchasing one every year. But this time around I held off the though just to buy a laptop with Intel Core 2 Duo. Intel announced the new processors on July 27, but looks like the desktops/laptops equipped with this latest processors won't be out until perhaps end of August. Even then they will be in limited numbers I guess. Interesting to note that Intel announced the mobile version at the same time as the desktop version since initially the roadmap looked like the merom would be released towards the end of August.

Here are a few links proving that this new processor is much faster than the latest AMD processor and yet consumes lesser power.
Game Over? Core 2 Duo Knocks Out Athlon 64
THG Tuning Test: Core 2 Extreme vs. Athlon 64 FX-62

But this is by no means to say Intel is better than AMD. AMD did not yet make any big steps except than AM2. Intel still has to get the memory controller right. With AM2 socket AMD has integrated memory controller using DDR2 memory and provide almost double the bandwidth than the extreme version of the Intel Core 2. There are rumors that Intel might follow AMD style memory controller. If that happens Intel can really have an advanced processor. I am still debating whether to buy a laptop with napa platform in the next couple of months or wait for almost another year for the santa rosa platform which seems to be very promising with it's higher FSB clock rate of 800 MHz, lower power consumption and 801.11n WLAN chipset. Time will tell! But for now time does tell us that Intel's NetBurst architecture will be history and for all the good reasons too...

Comments

Anonymous said…
Good one!

Popular posts from this blog

Attesting General Power of Attorney in SF

Recently I had to go through the motions of getting a General Power of Attorney (GPA) document attested in San Francisco. I am an Indian by birth. My parents were trying to buy a house back in India for me. Since I did not want to travel to India they needed a GPA so that they can act on my behalf to sign all the documents required to buy the house. The problem however is that they needed it urgently because the seller lives in UK and wants to get all the things done quickly so he can go back. My parents send me a GPA document that they obtained from a lawyer. This is a document that will give the power to my parents to buy the said property in the document on my behalf. The lawyer said that I will have to get the document attested at an Indian Consulate in USA. The closest one for me is in SF and I can drive there in about an hour from where I live. So I though it will be like a day's work to get all the things done. I looked up at their  website  for the procedure t...

XBMC / Boxee remote control android app

I have been writing a few android apps over weekends at home and during 20% time at Google. However I never actually released any of them in the android market mainly because they were quick and dirty apps that fit my needs but perhaps would not be appealing to the general public. One such app that I quickly wrote over a couple of weekends is a XBMC remote. The media center that I use at home is XBMC and I have always wanted to have more control and faster access to my media. Using my remote to navigate through the menus is not as fast. Especially when I wanted to queue a lot of music it is very slow. So I wrote this nice little app called "XBMC remote" for my android phone to control XBMC from anywhere :). Give it a try. Search for "xbmc" in android market and install it if you use XBMC as your media center. When you first launch the app you will start with this screen. You will have to setup your web server address, username and password (if required) by ...

Installing Boxee on Gentoo: my experience

You have probably heard of Boxee and Gentoo (come on). I wanted to give Boxee a try, because of all the movies and tv shows that I can watch for free. I have already switched from Freevo to xbmc (which is a story in itself) as my primary media center. Since boxee is a fork of xbmc I thought I might give it a try. Why not? Because xbmc was so easy to compile and install. I did not have any problem compiling the latest code from subversion. I registered and downloaded the latest code from Boxee's website. There is no link to svn and so I downloaded version 0.9.11.5591. The compile was pretty simple 1. Untar the downloaded file 2. autoconf 3. ./configure 4. make -j3 However the compile was not successful. The first problem I ran into was this compile error: XAPP_MC.cpp:12:20: error: bxcurl.h: No such file or directory To solve it, I googled around and found the solution in the boxee forums. I had to make minor modifications to the following Makefiles xbmc/Makefile SRCS += BoxeeAuthen...