Skip to main content

Dell E1705 LCD swap with Dell 9300

I received my Dell E1705 laptop and as I said in my previous post. One of the first things I wanted to do was to swap the LCD screens. Well I started out with confidence, but ended in a futile result. The whole ordeal lasted less than 15 minutes and left me devastated (well I really didn't need such a strong word just because it didn't work). Anyone who has experience in opening dell laptops already know all this but just a picture story goes here.

I opened the plastic covering and then the keyboard, its connection and the LCD controller connection.

Since the WiFi antenna resides inside the LCD display I also had to remove the connections from WiFi at the back of the laptop.


I proceeded with the same steps for my Dell 9300 laptop too, and swapped the displays. Now is the time to know the truth! After I switched on my E1705 with it's UXGA screen from my older 9300, I saw the screen go all white, then BIOS messages appeared as normal, no indication of any errors or anything. So I was glad the operation was successful, except of course for the screen going all white before booting up. But the screen kind of looked very dull as if the brigtness is set at minimum. I tweaked the LCD brightness in BIOS but to no avail. So I decided to give it the Dell Diagnostic tests. And there I found the problem. All the tests were successful except for the LCD controller test. The error message was "Error accessing the LCD inverter." Bad luck.

So I called up Dell and after 2 hours of explaining to 3 different departments they finally decided that the LCD cannot be swapped and more over they cannot send me a replacement for a different part. Basically I can excahnge for the exact same part. How unfortunate. The only way around this problem it seems, is to return the laptop and order a new one, with UXGA screen. And that is what I decided to do. I am returning this laptop for a full refund (free shipping and no restocking fee of course). And I ordered another E1705 with the correct LCD screen.

There is one more reason I cannot just swap the displays. Although the display from 9300 fits in E1705, the other way round is not easy. The E705 display has a small projection on one of its hinges and the platform it rests on (E1705) has an opening for the projection. But the 9300 does not have any such modifications, so I will have to file the projection. That will be too much hard work. So better off with a new laptop. Meanwhile I decided to do a quick 3DMark05 test. And got a score of 6200 something. Seems like the NVIDIA 7900 GS is almost twice as fast as the NVIDIA 6800!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I understand your frustrations. I too had the same problem with swaping out lcd displays. The reason that the lcd turned white and had problems is because the older Dell displays need to be grounded to the board. Also sometimes you need to use the inverter that came with the laptop. Not the screen. This swap can be a painful experience if you don't have a lot of time or patience. I recently swaped a screen out of an older but good inspiron 6000 into a new xps 1530. The problem I found was with grounding which I am currently working on. Otherwise I will just order the display on ebay for around $200 and forget about it.
Peter said…
Been looking around for some help. Could you comment on this:
I have a Dell 1150, display not working (divided in 3 horizontally, 1 section good, 2 sections colored lines). I bought a screen on eBay advertised as fitting 1150 or 5150. Well, must be 5150 because althought he hinges fit perfectly, cable connector is different.
Here's the question: do you think I can just swap the cable connection from my old 1150 onto the purchased one? Or do you think I should swap the LCD panel into my old cover? In any case, will it work?
Anup J. Thomas said…
yo, I did exactly what you did except I took my WUXGA display from an XPS M170 (Same thing as the 9300) and put it in my E1705 (1400x900). My brightness didn't adjust either and after reading your post I thought it was impossible, then I searched a bit more and found you could buy the dell lcd inverters on ebay, which inspired me to just try switching the inverters I already had on my screens, and as I'm typing I'm using my screen at full brightness. Carefully take out the three small screws (kinda hard without a @0000 phillips head) and unplug the two things attached to it. Try it, and make sure you screw in that grounding screw too like the guru guy mentioned.

Popular posts from this blog

Attesting General Power of Attorney in SF

Recently I had to go through the motions of getting a General Power of Attorney (GPA) document attested in San Francisco. I am an Indian by birth. My parents were trying to buy a house back in India for me. Since I did not want to travel to India they needed a GPA so that they can act on my behalf to sign all the documents required to buy the house. The problem however is that they needed it urgently because the seller lives in UK and wants to get all the things done quickly so he can go back. My parents send me a GPA document that they obtained from a lawyer. This is a document that will give the power to my parents to buy the said property in the document on my behalf. The lawyer said that I will have to get the document attested at an Indian Consulate in USA. The closest one for me is in SF and I can drive there in about an hour from where I live. So I though it will be like a day's work to get all the things done. I looked up at their  website  for the procedure to att

XBMC / Boxee remote control android app

I have been writing a few android apps over weekends at home and during 20% time at Google. However I never actually released any of them in the android market mainly because they were quick and dirty apps that fit my needs but perhaps would not be appealing to the general public. One such app that I quickly wrote over a couple of weekends is a XBMC remote. The media center that I use at home is XBMC and I have always wanted to have more control and faster access to my media. Using my remote to navigate through the menus is not as fast. Especially when I wanted to queue a lot of music it is very slow. So I wrote this nice little app called "XBMC remote" for my android phone to control XBMC from anywhere :). Give it a try. Search for "xbmc" in android market and install it if you use XBMC as your media center. When you first launch the app you will start with this screen. You will have to setup your web server address, username and password (if required) by

gtkdocize not found

If you are ever configuring an app and see the message "gtkdocize not found" in Gentoo, then you need to emerge gtk-doc. I had some hard time figuring this out so I am writing it in my blog for the next time. When I saw that error message I did an "emerge -s gtkdocize". Usually it is that simple in Gentoo. But not this time. The emerge command returned no results at all. Then I searched for gtkdoc and still no luck. After searching in Google, I still did not have a solution. After thinking for a while I decided to try to search for gtk-doc. Bingo! That worked! Interestingly, this is my first post from my Virtual machine :-)