Skip to main content

Finally I will have Core 2 Duo

After waiting for a long time (from July 27th, till September 12th), I finally ordered a Dell E1705 with Core 2 Duo Merom processor (not to be confused with the older Core Duo Yonah processor)! It is such a happy feeling, to finally be able to use a dual core processor.

Configuration
  • Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 processor running at 2.00 GHz, 4 MB Cache, 667 MHz FSB
  • 17" XGA+ (I will swap this display with my UXGA display from my Dell 9300)
  • 1 GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667 MHz
  • 256 MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GS
  • 80 GB 5400 RPM SATA hard drive
  • Rest of the usual stuff like CD/DVD, wireless, network card etc.
I ordered an XGA+ display because as soon as the laptop arrives I will exchange the UXGA from my Dell 9300 which the E1705 will replace ;-). I called Dell technical support to make sure that they can be swapped and the result was a positive reply. I have to live with the slower NVIDIA 7900 GS since the GTX card was not available for E1705. Other than that I am very happy with the configuration. I could not resist the temptation of buying another laptop. Initially I contemplated on waiting till the Santa Rosa platform is released, with its 800 MHz FSB, but I could not wait!

Once I receive the shipment I will post some pictures and benchmark reports (stock and overclocked of course). I heard a lot of good things about Core 2 Duo when compared to Core Duo. Many people get confused between the two processors. But Core 2 Duo is supposedly 20% faster than Core Duo running at the same clock frequency. But to me the important jump from Core Duo is the 64-bit technology. Core Duo is 32 bit processor and Core 2 Duo is 64 bit. Also VanderPool was missing from some of the Core Duo processors. But all Core 2 Duo processors have it. With higher FSB and several new features I would definetly expect Core 2 Duo to beat Core Duo. However my benchmarks will compare Pentium-M 2.00 GHz / 533 MHz FSB with Core 2 Duo 2.00 GHz / 667 MHZ FSB.

Anyway right after the benchmarks I will do what I usually do to all my laptops, format and reinstall Win XP, and install Gentoo. But this time I have some more plans. Thanks to the Virtualization Technology (VT, previously code named VanderPool) in Merom, I can run unmodified Windows from inside Linux. So the plan is to install Gentoo, Xgl and Xen. I can play windows games from Linux and since Xgl gives eye-candy like MacOSX, I can ask for nothing more. I think it will be quite an adventure to make use of NVIDIA acceleration in Windows using VT. But let's see. My Dell 9300 laptop will then become my Freevo media center and my older Dell 5160 which is currently the media center will become part of a cluster.

Intel's Core 2 Duo website shows the addition of the following features:
  • Intel® Wide Dynamic Execution, enabling delivery of more instructions per clock cycle to improve execution time and energy efficiency
  • Intel® Intelligent Power Capability, designed to deliver more energy-efficient performance and smarter battery performance in your laptop
  • Intel® Smart Memory Access, improving system performance by optimizing the use of the available data bandwidth
  • Intel® Advanced Smart Cache, providing a higher-performance, more efficient cache subsystem. Optimized for multi-core and dual-core processors
  • Intel® Advanced Digital Media Boost, accelerating a broad range of applications, including video, speech and image, photo processing, encryption, financial, engineering and scientific applications
Netburst is dead, and long live Core!

More soon...

Comments

Sumit Chachra said…
Core 2 duo's are fast for sure. My machine at work is a core 2 duo with 4 gb ram... it runs fasssst!! :-)
Anonymous said…
You have given us hope and enthusiasm !
thank you very much~!

Popular posts from this blog

Attesting General Power of Attorney in SF

Recently I had to go through the motions of getting a General Power of Attorney (GPA) document attested in San Francisco. I am an Indian by birth. My parents were trying to buy a house back in India for me. Since I did not want to travel to India they needed a GPA so that they can act on my behalf to sign all the documents required to buy the house. The problem however is that they needed it urgently because the seller lives in UK and wants to get all the things done quickly so he can go back. My parents send me a GPA document that they obtained from a lawyer. This is a document that will give the power to my parents to buy the said property in the document on my behalf. The lawyer said that I will have to get the document attested at an Indian Consulate in USA. The closest one for me is in SF and I can drive there in about an hour from where I live. So I though it will be like a day's work to get all the things done. I looked up at their  website  for the procedure to att

XBMC / Boxee remote control android app

I have been writing a few android apps over weekends at home and during 20% time at Google. However I never actually released any of them in the android market mainly because they were quick and dirty apps that fit my needs but perhaps would not be appealing to the general public. One such app that I quickly wrote over a couple of weekends is a XBMC remote. The media center that I use at home is XBMC and I have always wanted to have more control and faster access to my media. Using my remote to navigate through the menus is not as fast. Especially when I wanted to queue a lot of music it is very slow. So I wrote this nice little app called "XBMC remote" for my android phone to control XBMC from anywhere :). Give it a try. Search for "xbmc" in android market and install it if you use XBMC as your media center. When you first launch the app you will start with this screen. You will have to setup your web server address, username and password (if required) by

gtkdocize not found

If you are ever configuring an app and see the message "gtkdocize not found" in Gentoo, then you need to emerge gtk-doc. I had some hard time figuring this out so I am writing it in my blog for the next time. When I saw that error message I did an "emerge -s gtkdocize". Usually it is that simple in Gentoo. But not this time. The emerge command returned no results at all. Then I searched for gtkdoc and still no luck. After searching in Google, I still did not have a solution. After thinking for a while I decided to try to search for gtk-doc. Bingo! That worked! Interestingly, this is my first post from my Virtual machine :-)