Skip to main content

Joining Google! How it all started...

I am very excited to join Google! This is perhaps the best career move for me. It has been my dream to work at Google ever since I graduated. Then why have I not been working in Google from the start of my career? Why join Motorola? Here is a timeline to put everything in perspective.

Summer of 2001:
My GRE exam is on August 1, 2001. Preparations are underway with one target in mind - "I have to join MIT". But no amount of hard work could prepare me for the dooms day. I wrote the exam and the scores were not as good as I anticipated. I was totally dejected. I knew then that I lost any chance of getting into MIT. And from that day to this day I kept complaining that "I could not join MIT". Only a few handful of people knew how depressed I was during that time.

Fast forward 3 years.

August 2004:
I joined University of Arizona in 2002 and I was close to completing my Masters. I had no plans of doing PhD. I lost all hope to join MIT. But I knew one thing I could do that will be as close as joining MIT. And that was to join Google. I heard a lot about it and knew that Google only takes the best of the best. If I work in Google I can meet with some of the greatest minds. I also knew that I will not be able to join Google even with a perfect 4.0 GPA because I did not study at MIT. I did apply to Google however and never got an interview. So my complains grew to "I could not join MIT or Google". During that time I applied for a job in Motorola too and I got the job with just 2 interviews. But the complains did not stop.

March 2007:
The reason for applying for Google again and doing all I could do to get there started here. In one of the conversations I was having on the evening of that fateful day, I unemotionally complained again about not being in MIT and Google and how much I have lost. This is when my best friend Sreelu decided that she needs to put an end to my bemoaning. She told me that I have no reason to complain since I did not try hard enough. Previously when she told me that I did not get MIT because I did not try, I had to agree. Yes I did not apply my mistake. May be if my essay (statement of purpose) was strong then even if my scores weren't that great I could have had a chance. I will never know since I never applied. However I did apply for Google then why did I fail. She counters with "You did not try hard enough". Now that is a statement that cannot be underrated. I again applied to some interesting positions at Google and this time I did everything I could. I did networking, I talked to people. I convinced them of my talents. I did several projects and demonstrated them in interviews and in emails. I prepared very well for all the interviews and then end result is - I got an offer from Google!

Now I have no reason to complain. I reached where I initially did not even hope to enter. I am a happy man. Lessons learnt - "never say die" and "if you have the will to do, you should have the heart to dare". The principles by which I have always lived and will live. Thanks to Sreelu for reviving those principles. I am a Googler with no more complains about my life (much to the satisfaction of some of my friends ;-). I would like to thank Sumit Chachra (http://blog.chachra.us/), Sarah Sirajuddin and Kiran Mudiam who have been instrumental in landing my dream job.

Comments

Sumit Chachra said…
Thanks Chandan. Best of luck with the move, and see you soon after I return back from India!

cheers!
Sumit.
Anonymous said…
Hey Chandan, I really like cTunes but I cannot make it work on my w510. Is there any way u can help me? I've tried a lot.. I mean everything! What could be the problem?
Anonymous said…
Where can I download cTunes?

THANKS
Re-ynd said…
You can download cTunes from http://www.e2mod.com/content/view/180/28/
i m interested in making career at google.
how should i started preparations???

Popular posts from this blog

Attesting General Power of Attorney in SF

Recently I had to go through the motions of getting a General Power of Attorney (GPA) document attested in San Francisco. I am an Indian by birth. My parents were trying to buy a house back in India for me. Since I did not want to travel to India they needed a GPA so that they can act on my behalf to sign all the documents required to buy the house. The problem however is that they needed it urgently because the seller lives in UK and wants to get all the things done quickly so he can go back. My parents send me a GPA document that they obtained from a lawyer. This is a document that will give the power to my parents to buy the said property in the document on my behalf. The lawyer said that I will have to get the document attested at an Indian Consulate in USA. The closest one for me is in SF and I can drive there in about an hour from where I live. So I though it will be like a day's work to get all the things done. I looked up at their  website  for the procedure to att

XBMC / Boxee remote control android app

I have been writing a few android apps over weekends at home and during 20% time at Google. However I never actually released any of them in the android market mainly because they were quick and dirty apps that fit my needs but perhaps would not be appealing to the general public. One such app that I quickly wrote over a couple of weekends is a XBMC remote. The media center that I use at home is XBMC and I have always wanted to have more control and faster access to my media. Using my remote to navigate through the menus is not as fast. Especially when I wanted to queue a lot of music it is very slow. So I wrote this nice little app called "XBMC remote" for my android phone to control XBMC from anywhere :). Give it a try. Search for "xbmc" in android market and install it if you use XBMC as your media center. When you first launch the app you will start with this screen. You will have to setup your web server address, username and password (if required) by

gtkdocize not found

If you are ever configuring an app and see the message "gtkdocize not found" in Gentoo, then you need to emerge gtk-doc. I had some hard time figuring this out so I am writing it in my blog for the next time. When I saw that error message I did an "emerge -s gtkdocize". Usually it is that simple in Gentoo. But not this time. The emerge command returned no results at all. Then I searched for gtkdoc and still no luck. After searching in Google, I still did not have a solution. After thinking for a while I decided to try to search for gtk-doc. Bingo! That worked! Interestingly, this is my first post from my Virtual machine :-)