Skip to main content

Day 4 at Google

Today I decided to try out Google shuttle since I am planning to use it daily once I move to a new apartment. Obviously I wanted to try and see how a 1 hour long drive will be. Although I do not have motion sickness, people asked me to test it out before deciding to stay so far away from work. I drove about 40 miles to Danville and got on the Google shuttle. The shuttle was a very nice limo type bus with nice seats, a couple of four seats with tables between them, wifi access and overhead video displays (although no movies have been played during the ride). I tried out what I would routinely do if I used the shuttle which is basically coding and reading both books and web. All of them worked out fine. I did not feel any motion sickness, but sometimes I found it hard to concentrate on reading the small font on Dr. Dobbs magazine when the bus is shaking too much. Reading from my laptop wasn't that bad once I did a few Ctrl-+ to make the font bigger.

After reaching Google, I attended 3 more classes. Had chicken biriyani with palak paneer for lunch. Not as tasty as I expected (since it was not spicy enough for my taste) but still pretty good. Again in the evening hopped on the return shuttle. After 1 hour 20 minutes shuttle ride to Danville, I drove back to Santa Clara for another 50 minutes. What an irony that I drove from a place close to Google to a far away place only to use the shuttle back to Google. In total I commuted for 4 hours and 20 minutes today. But it was only a one day thing so it was not a big deal. The shuttle service is awesome. Right on time. No motion sickness. No waste of time. I can work during my commute. So I decided I to use the shuttle and live far away from the city :)

Comments

Sumit Chachra said…
dude,

why are u planning to stay in Danville??? Stay in SF if you want to be far from work.... commuting 1 hour each way is a waste of time... although am sure u don't look at it that way, but there's only so much reading you'll do each way.

I stay at 5 minutes walk from work and love it!

Popular posts from this blog

Attesting General Power of Attorney in SF

Recently I had to go through the motions of getting a General Power of Attorney (GPA) document attested in San Francisco. I am an Indian by birth. My parents were trying to buy a house back in India for me. Since I did not want to travel to India they needed a GPA so that they can act on my behalf to sign all the documents required to buy the house. The problem however is that they needed it urgently because the seller lives in UK and wants to get all the things done quickly so he can go back. My parents send me a GPA document that they obtained from a lawyer. This is a document that will give the power to my parents to buy the said property in the document on my behalf. The lawyer said that I will have to get the document attested at an Indian Consulate in USA. The closest one for me is in SF and I can drive there in about an hour from where I live. So I though it will be like a day's work to get all the things done. I looked up at their  website  for the procedure t...

XBMC / Boxee remote control android app

I have been writing a few android apps over weekends at home and during 20% time at Google. However I never actually released any of them in the android market mainly because they were quick and dirty apps that fit my needs but perhaps would not be appealing to the general public. One such app that I quickly wrote over a couple of weekends is a XBMC remote. The media center that I use at home is XBMC and I have always wanted to have more control and faster access to my media. Using my remote to navigate through the menus is not as fast. Especially when I wanted to queue a lot of music it is very slow. So I wrote this nice little app called "XBMC remote" for my android phone to control XBMC from anywhere :). Give it a try. Search for "xbmc" in android market and install it if you use XBMC as your media center. When you first launch the app you will start with this screen. You will have to setup your web server address, username and password (if required) by ...

Installing Boxee on Gentoo: my experience

You have probably heard of Boxee and Gentoo (come on). I wanted to give Boxee a try, because of all the movies and tv shows that I can watch for free. I have already switched from Freevo to xbmc (which is a story in itself) as my primary media center. Since boxee is a fork of xbmc I thought I might give it a try. Why not? Because xbmc was so easy to compile and install. I did not have any problem compiling the latest code from subversion. I registered and downloaded the latest code from Boxee's website. There is no link to svn and so I downloaded version 0.9.11.5591. The compile was pretty simple 1. Untar the downloaded file 2. autoconf 3. ./configure 4. make -j3 However the compile was not successful. The first problem I ran into was this compile error: XAPP_MC.cpp:12:20: error: bxcurl.h: No such file or directory To solve it, I googled around and found the solution in the boxee forums. I had to make minor modifications to the following Makefiles xbmc/Makefile SRCS += BoxeeAuthen...