Skip to main content

Q on Mac

With my failure to run VirtualBox on Leopard, I decided to go with Q (http://www.kju-app.org/kju/). Here are some notes about my adventures with Q on mac.

1. I downloaded the mac release and the install was a breeze.
2. Created a new Virtual machine. Named it Gentoo, gave it 512MB memory and 10.00GB harddisk and the cd-rom is the gentoo install image. Everything looks good so far.
3. Set to boot from the cd and launched the virtual machine "Gentoo".
4. Wohoo I see linux booting. But it is very slow. 1 CPU on my mac book pro is maxed out but the booting was going very slow. Well I guess that is what you get with an emulator but somehow I remember VirtualBox on linux to be much faster. Anyway continuing further
5. I got my shell prompt. hdparm -tT /dev/hda gives about 80MB/s. Nice! I know I am in a virtual environment.
6. ipconfig gives a virtual ip for eth0. A ping to www.google.com resolves the domain name to an IP but I never get back a response for the ping. Hmm. Am I inside a firewall? That is ok, I will continue with my install. At least I am able to ping to 10.0.2.2 which seems to be the QEmu gateway for network traffic on the virtual net.
7. Yes I was right. The pings are not working but I am able to access the internet. I was able to do "links www.google.com" and I got the google's landing page.

I am trying out Q on mac during my commute to work. Now I am approaching my destination. So more in my next post today evening when I am on my return journey.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi,
I am testing Q on Mac Os Leopard and running here a virtual fBSD.
I have the same problem - resolving ip works but I have no connection (pings not works and cannot test on links/lynx browser - cause there is no those browsers on fBSD by default) . Can you maby understand that complex mechanism of Q's firewall ?
PS. Sorry for my pure english !
--
Regards, Michal G, Poland.
garbus__AtSymbol__op.pl
Anonymous said…
Hmmm You was right. I can access web. Sorry for chaos !
--
Regards, Michal G, Poland.
garbus__AtSymbol__op.pl

Popular posts from this blog

Attesting General Power of Attorney in SF

Recently I had to go through the motions of getting a General Power of Attorney (GPA) document attested in San Francisco. I am an Indian by birth. My parents were trying to buy a house back in India for me. Since I did not want to travel to India they needed a GPA so that they can act on my behalf to sign all the documents required to buy the house. The problem however is that they needed it urgently because the seller lives in UK and wants to get all the things done quickly so he can go back. My parents send me a GPA document that they obtained from a lawyer. This is a document that will give the power to my parents to buy the said property in the document on my behalf. The lawyer said that I will have to get the document attested at an Indian Consulate in USA. The closest one for me is in SF and I can drive there in about an hour from where I live. So I though it will be like a day's work to get all the things done. I looked up at their  website  for the procedure t...

XBMC / Boxee remote control android app

I have been writing a few android apps over weekends at home and during 20% time at Google. However I never actually released any of them in the android market mainly because they were quick and dirty apps that fit my needs but perhaps would not be appealing to the general public. One such app that I quickly wrote over a couple of weekends is a XBMC remote. The media center that I use at home is XBMC and I have always wanted to have more control and faster access to my media. Using my remote to navigate through the menus is not as fast. Especially when I wanted to queue a lot of music it is very slow. So I wrote this nice little app called "XBMC remote" for my android phone to control XBMC from anywhere :). Give it a try. Search for "xbmc" in android market and install it if you use XBMC as your media center. When you first launch the app you will start with this screen. You will have to setup your web server address, username and password (if required) by ...

Installing Boxee on Gentoo: my experience

You have probably heard of Boxee and Gentoo (come on). I wanted to give Boxee a try, because of all the movies and tv shows that I can watch for free. I have already switched from Freevo to xbmc (which is a story in itself) as my primary media center. Since boxee is a fork of xbmc I thought I might give it a try. Why not? Because xbmc was so easy to compile and install. I did not have any problem compiling the latest code from subversion. I registered and downloaded the latest code from Boxee's website. There is no link to svn and so I downloaded version 0.9.11.5591. The compile was pretty simple 1. Untar the downloaded file 2. autoconf 3. ./configure 4. make -j3 However the compile was not successful. The first problem I ran into was this compile error: XAPP_MC.cpp:12:20: error: bxcurl.h: No such file or directory To solve it, I googled around and found the solution in the boxee forums. I had to make minor modifications to the following Makefiles xbmc/Makefile SRCS += BoxeeAuthen...