Skip to main content

VirtualBox on Mac

So I have used VirtualBox on my Gentoo machine a few weeks ago. I loved it. Very simple to use. Now I wanted to install Gentoo linux on my macbook pro laptop. I did not want to erase Mac OS, just want Gentoo running along side. I decided to give VirtualBox a try. At the time of writing this blog the VirtualBox download page says that the mac build is in beta for intel macs (http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads), but I decided to try it any way. I am writing this blog as I am trying VirualBox to install Gentoo on my macbook pro.

1. Ok so I downloaded the .dmg and the install was a breeze.
2. I launched the app from the application folder. Oh what is this. I got a message saying that the app exited. A dialog asked me if I wanted to relaunch. Uh? Alright relaunch. Now it works. I got my VirualBox window!
3. Created a new virtual machine for Gentoo. Enter name, allocated 512MB (my macbook pro has 2GB :-)
4. Created a new virtual disk on which to install Gentoo. Allocated 10.00 GB dynamically resizing virtual disk. Click finish.
5. Now to download Gentoo minimal installation disk from (http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/where.xml).

This will take some time. I will probably continue tomorrow. Wait for my next post ;-). But wow that was really easy. It just took about 15 mins from start to finish.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Attesting General Power of Attorney in SF

Recently I had to go through the motions of getting a General Power of Attorney (GPA) document attested in San Francisco. I am an Indian by birth. My parents were trying to buy a house back in India for me. Since I did not want to travel to India they needed a GPA so that they can act on my behalf to sign all the documents required to buy the house. The problem however is that they needed it urgently because the seller lives in UK and wants to get all the things done quickly so he can go back. My parents send me a GPA document that they obtained from a lawyer. This is a document that will give the power to my parents to buy the said property in the document on my behalf. The lawyer said that I will have to get the document attested at an Indian Consulate in USA. The closest one for me is in SF and I can drive there in about an hour from where I live. So I though it will be like a day's work to get all the things done. I looked up at their  website  for the procedure to att

XBMC / Boxee remote control android app

I have been writing a few android apps over weekends at home and during 20% time at Google. However I never actually released any of them in the android market mainly because they were quick and dirty apps that fit my needs but perhaps would not be appealing to the general public. One such app that I quickly wrote over a couple of weekends is a XBMC remote. The media center that I use at home is XBMC and I have always wanted to have more control and faster access to my media. Using my remote to navigate through the menus is not as fast. Especially when I wanted to queue a lot of music it is very slow. So I wrote this nice little app called "XBMC remote" for my android phone to control XBMC from anywhere :). Give it a try. Search for "xbmc" in android market and install it if you use XBMC as your media center. When you first launch the app you will start with this screen. You will have to setup your web server address, username and password (if required) by

gtkdocize not found

If you are ever configuring an app and see the message "gtkdocize not found" in Gentoo, then you need to emerge gtk-doc. I had some hard time figuring this out so I am writing it in my blog for the next time. When I saw that error message I did an "emerge -s gtkdocize". Usually it is that simple in Gentoo. But not this time. The emerge command returned no results at all. Then I searched for gtkdoc and still no luck. After searching in Google, I still did not have a solution. After thinking for a while I decided to try to search for gtk-doc. Bingo! That worked! Interestingly, this is my first post from my Virtual machine :-)