Skip to main content

VirtualBox 1.6 is out

The most usable (for me anyway) VirtualBox release for mac is out. I just downloaded 1.6.0 from VirtualBox.org. I was finally able to load the virtualbox additions. Check out my previous blog to read about the issues I faced. Here is a quick recap of the issues:
  1. I could not use my full screen real estate which was 1440x900. The max resolution I could get was 1152x864.
  2. Unable to mount my shared folder.
  3. Cannot ssh from master OS (mac OS).
First I am glad that VBox for mac has finally come out of beta. Just the fact that there is a release lifts the spirits a bit.

Coming to my first issue, I am now able to make full use of my screen. It did not work out of the box, but the tweaks I had to do were small enough to not make me grumpy.
  1. I installed 1.6.0 on my macbook pro.
  2. Started my Gentoo guest OS.
  3. Loaded the virtualbox additions iso to the virtual cdrom by doing Devices > Install Guest Additions...
  4. Mounted the cdrom from Gentoo by doing mount /mnt/cdrom as root.
  5. Executed /mnt/cdrom/VBoxLinuxAdditions.run. At this point all the modules are compiled and installed. My old /etc/X11/xorg.conf was saved as /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak and the /etc/X11/xorg.conf was modified to add a new monitor and the video driver was changed from vesa to vboxvideo.
  6. Restarted my guest OS and all the modules loaded properly (no issues like with the beta release). But my kdm did not start. What gives? So I logged in as root and restarted xdm with /etc/init.d/xdm restart and I got kdm running. It was bizzare that for some reason X failed during boot up. And I know that the only changes were the new video driver and the vbox modules. Since X started normally when I restarted xdm, I knew the the vbox modules did not load before the video driver. What did I do? Just moved the vbox init scipts from default to boot like so
    rc-update add vboxadd boot
    rc-update del vboxbox default
    rc-update add vboxadd-timesync boot
    rc-update del vboxadd-timesync default
    rc-update add vboxvfs boot
    rc-update del vboxvfs default
    Thats it. Now all the modules get loaded before xdm starts.
  7. I restarted the guest OS and found out that it did not make full use of screen, but the size is something odd. It just filled the size of the VirtualBox window. So I maximized the virtual box window and restarted, lo and behold my guest OS fills the whole screen. Here is the screen size from xdpyinfo
    xdpyinfo | grep dimensions
    dimensions: 1432x830 pixels (378x219 millimeters)
  8. Sometimes the virtual box does not detect the full screen properly. In such a case just restart the guest OS again in maximized window and it will work.
The next issue is mounting the shared folder. With the previous beta release of virtual box the filesystem driver that talks to the shared folder could not be loaded using modprobe. But with 1.6 it has all changed. The vboxsf works! Just do
mount -t vboxsf < shared folder name > < mount point >
and it just works.

The final issue where I cannot connect to the guest OS from master OS still exists and I don't have a solution for that yet. But hey I don't need it now that I have the shared folder working! I can transfer files back and forth between them.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi,


I am from France, and i saw you acted on the freevo site.

In the :
http://freevo.sourceforge.net/download/live.php
Page you talked about virtual PC, maybe it should say that Virtualbox run also very well on Windows systems...

Cordialy,
Unknown said…
vboxsf does not work in last OpenSolaris and last Ubuntu as guest OS.
素人 said…
男性が主役の素人ホストでは、女性の体を癒してあげるだけで高額な謝礼がもらえます。欲求不満な人妻や、男性と出逢いが無い女性が当サイトで男性を求めていらっしゃいます。興味のある方はTOPページからどうぞ
家出 said…
これから家出したい少女や、現在家出中の娘とそんな娘と遊びたい人を繋げるSOS掲示板です。家庭内の問題などでやむなく家出している子が多数書き込みしています。女の子リストを見て彼女たちにメールを送ってみませんか
あなたのSM度をかんたん診断、SM度チェッカーで隠された性癖をチェック!真面目なあの娘も夜はドS女王様、ツンデレなあの子も実はイジめて欲しい願望があるかも!?コンパや飲み会で盛り上がること間違いなしのおもしろツールでみんなと盛り上がろう
セフレ said…
男性なら一人くらいは作ってみたいセフレですが、実は女性もいつでもSEXしたいときにできる友達がほしいと思っているのです。そのような彼女たちの欲求を満たしてあげませんか
女性向け風俗サイトで出張デリバリーホストをしてみませんか?時給2万円の高額アルバイトです。無料登録をしてあとは女性からの呼び出しを待つだけなので、お試し登録も歓迎です。興味をもたれた方は今すぐどうぞ。

Popular posts from this blog

Attesting General Power of Attorney in SF

Recently I had to go through the motions of getting a General Power of Attorney (GPA) document attested in San Francisco. I am an Indian by birth. My parents were trying to buy a house back in India for me. Since I did not want to travel to India they needed a GPA so that they can act on my behalf to sign all the documents required to buy the house. The problem however is that they needed it urgently because the seller lives in UK and wants to get all the things done quickly so he can go back. My parents send me a GPA document that they obtained from a lawyer. This is a document that will give the power to my parents to buy the said property in the document on my behalf. The lawyer said that I will have to get the document attested at an Indian Consulate in USA. The closest one for me is in SF and I can drive there in about an hour from where I live. So I though it will be like a day's work to get all the things done. I looked up at their  website  for the procedure to att

XBMC / Boxee remote control android app

I have been writing a few android apps over weekends at home and during 20% time at Google. However I never actually released any of them in the android market mainly because they were quick and dirty apps that fit my needs but perhaps would not be appealing to the general public. One such app that I quickly wrote over a couple of weekends is a XBMC remote. The media center that I use at home is XBMC and I have always wanted to have more control and faster access to my media. Using my remote to navigate through the menus is not as fast. Especially when I wanted to queue a lot of music it is very slow. So I wrote this nice little app called "XBMC remote" for my android phone to control XBMC from anywhere :). Give it a try. Search for "xbmc" in android market and install it if you use XBMC as your media center. When you first launch the app you will start with this screen. You will have to setup your web server address, username and password (if required) by

gtkdocize not found

If you are ever configuring an app and see the message "gtkdocize not found" in Gentoo, then you need to emerge gtk-doc. I had some hard time figuring this out so I am writing it in my blog for the next time. When I saw that error message I did an "emerge -s gtkdocize". Usually it is that simple in Gentoo. But not this time. The emerge command returned no results at all. Then I searched for gtkdoc and still no luck. After searching in Google, I still did not have a solution. After thinking for a while I decided to try to search for gtk-doc. Bingo! That worked! Interestingly, this is my first post from my Virtual machine :-)