Skip to main content

Google Chromium (the open source chrome browser) on Gentoo!

Chromium is not yet complete no matter what I say here. Please do not post bugs or assume this is the final version of chromium. It still lacks a lot of features. My intension here is to only show you how you can get started on building chrome in Gentoo.

Google chromium project has come a long way. I have been building chromium once in a while but it was not stable and was slow until recently. But now I am using it as my primary browser (well there are some exceptions as I will explain later)! It is better than my firefox experience (at least in linux).

To get started head over to this link. First you will need to have all the prerequisites. In ubuntu it is pretty easy. On gentoo we need the gentoo package equivalents of all the prerequisites. Here is the list of things I mapped from ubuntu packages to Gentoo.

* Python >= 2.4 ---> python
* Perl >= 5.x --> perl
* gcc/g++ >= 4.2 --> gcc
* g++-multilib >=4.2 --> ?
* bison >= 2.3 --> bison
* flex >= 2.5.34 --> flex
* gperf >= 3.0.3 --> gperf
* pkg-config >= 0.20 --> pkgconfig
* libnss3-dev >= 3.12 --> nss
* libgconf2-dev --> gconf
* libglib2.0-dev --> glib
* libgtk2.0-dev --> gtk-engines-murrine
* libnspr4-0d >= 4.7.1+1.9-0ubuntu0.8.04.5 --> nspr
* libnspr4-dev >= 4.7.1+1.9-0ubuntu0.8.04.5 --> nspr
* msttcorefonts (Microsoft fonts) --> corefonts
* freetype-dev --> freetype
* libcairo2-dev --> cairo
* libdbus-1-dev --> dbus

The packages I left with a question mark are the ones that I did not how they get mapped on gentoo. Make sure you have installed all the packages with the minimum version required as specified. If you are running 64 bit OS you will probably need to install more packages. See here for 64 bit OS. I was able to build chrome in 64 bit ubuntu following those instructions, so I assume it should be fairly easy to build on 64 bit gentoo. Once you have all the dependencies, it is pretty straight forward.

Get the source code from here. I did not bootstrap from the tarball, because I found the svn checkout easier. But I would suggest that you do use the tarball. It will save a lot of time. Believe me. Following svn instructions, you will need to download depot tools. I downloaded the tools to ~/workspace/c/chrome/chromium/depot_tools. So all the instructions will use that directory.

Next you will need to configure the client and download the code using the following commands.

~/workspace/c/chrome/chromium $ ./depot_tools/gclient config http://src.chromium.org/svn/trunk/src http://chromium-status.appspot.com/lkgr

~/workspace/c/chrome/chromium $ ./depot_tools/gclient sync

This will take a really REALLY REALLY long time. Once you have the code you are ready to build.

~/workspace/c/chrome/chromium $ cd src/build

~/workspace/c/chrome/chromium/src/build $ nice -n 10 ../../depot_tools/hammer --mode=Release app

I niced it a little bit to keep my computer usable for other tasks while it is compiling. The compile will go on for a long time. If everything went without a hitch you will have your chrome browser in ~/workspace/c/chrome/chromium/src/sconsbuild/Release/chrome. Yay! Go ahead take it for a ride. You will be pleasantly surprised to see how much already works.

I ran some chrome experiments to gauge the performance and it is pretty good. Perhaps not as good as on windows, but definitely good. I did not do any firefox to chrome comparisons, so cannot comment much on that. The only downside of chrome browser is that it lacks flash at this point. So no youtube for you. But hey I can use firefox for that. A lot of things still don't work. For example ctrl-alt-t doesn't work. A lot of the options don't still work. Bookmarks have problems, etc. etc.

Here are some screen shots of chromium running in linux.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Attesting General Power of Attorney in SF

Recently I had to go through the motions of getting a General Power of Attorney (GPA) document attested in San Francisco. I am an Indian by birth. My parents were trying to buy a house back in India for me. Since I did not want to travel to India they needed a GPA so that they can act on my behalf to sign all the documents required to buy the house. The problem however is that they needed it urgently because the seller lives in UK and wants to get all the things done quickly so he can go back. My parents send me a GPA document that they obtained from a lawyer. This is a document that will give the power to my parents to buy the said property in the document on my behalf. The lawyer said that I will have to get the document attested at an Indian Consulate in USA. The closest one for me is in SF and I can drive there in about an hour from where I live. So I though it will be like a day's work to get all the things done. I looked up at their  website  for the procedure t...

XBMC / Boxee remote control android app

I have been writing a few android apps over weekends at home and during 20% time at Google. However I never actually released any of them in the android market mainly because they were quick and dirty apps that fit my needs but perhaps would not be appealing to the general public. One such app that I quickly wrote over a couple of weekends is a XBMC remote. The media center that I use at home is XBMC and I have always wanted to have more control and faster access to my media. Using my remote to navigate through the menus is not as fast. Especially when I wanted to queue a lot of music it is very slow. So I wrote this nice little app called "XBMC remote" for my android phone to control XBMC from anywhere :). Give it a try. Search for "xbmc" in android market and install it if you use XBMC as your media center. When you first launch the app you will start with this screen. You will have to setup your web server address, username and password (if required) by ...

Installing Boxee on Gentoo: my experience

You have probably heard of Boxee and Gentoo (come on). I wanted to give Boxee a try, because of all the movies and tv shows that I can watch for free. I have already switched from Freevo to xbmc (which is a story in itself) as my primary media center. Since boxee is a fork of xbmc I thought I might give it a try. Why not? Because xbmc was so easy to compile and install. I did not have any problem compiling the latest code from subversion. I registered and downloaded the latest code from Boxee's website. There is no link to svn and so I downloaded version 0.9.11.5591. The compile was pretty simple 1. Untar the downloaded file 2. autoconf 3. ./configure 4. make -j3 However the compile was not successful. The first problem I ran into was this compile error: XAPP_MC.cpp:12:20: error: bxcurl.h: No such file or directory To solve it, I googled around and found the solution in the boxee forums. I had to make minor modifications to the following Makefiles xbmc/Makefile SRCS += BoxeeAuthen...