Skip to main content

How To: DuMP3

After searching for some mp3 duplicate finders for Linux I finally found two good applications. One of them is DuMP3. In this blog post I will walk through the steps showing screenshots and measuring the performance.

Upon launching the application you will see the following window on your screen.



A very simple and clean interface. On the left side you will have to select the files that you want to compare and add them into the right pane. In my case all my collection is in one place which I added as shown below



Once you press the "Next" button the software will scan all the media in the directories that you selected in your right pane and it will make a list of file extensions that are contained in the directories. These will be shown in the following screen where you can select the file formats that you want to compare.



Seems like the software can find duplicates of images as well. That is neat! Anyway I just want audio de-duplication so I selected mp3, ogg and flac



Pressing "Next" will take you to a screen where you can tweak the comparison algorithm. I left the default values because I did not know how to tweak them yet.



When you are done changing the parameters, just press Next and the software should start scanning your collection. The software seems to be able to use multiple threads to make fingerprints for some audio files but not all. Or so it seems. For the first 130 files or so I saw that the software was using 50% of all 8 CPUs (4 real and 4 virtual due to Intel's HT) of my core i7 processor. But then after a while a strange thing happened. The scanning switched from multi-threaded to single threaded for some reason! That was very unfortunate. This is what is happening with DuMP3 everytime I use. Why would it not use all the processors when it is capable of it? May be only some formats lend to multi-threaded processing? What formats are these? Anyway this is so slow that it is totally unusable. I just ran in on a sample of about 500 files and it took 24 hours so far, yet it could only scan 475 files.



However it seems like it has done a good job at finding duplicate files. Still I cannot use it. I wish I knew what was wrong.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Attesting General Power of Attorney in SF

Recently I had to go through the motions of getting a General Power of Attorney (GPA) document attested in San Francisco. I am an Indian by birth. My parents were trying to buy a house back in India for me. Since I did not want to travel to India they needed a GPA so that they can act on my behalf to sign all the documents required to buy the house. The problem however is that they needed it urgently because the seller lives in UK and wants to get all the things done quickly so he can go back. My parents send me a GPA document that they obtained from a lawyer. This is a document that will give the power to my parents to buy the said property in the document on my behalf. The lawyer said that I will have to get the document attested at an Indian Consulate in USA. The closest one for me is in SF and I can drive there in about an hour from where I live. So I though it will be like a day's work to get all the things done. I looked up at their  website  for the procedure t...

XBMC / Boxee remote control android app

I have been writing a few android apps over weekends at home and during 20% time at Google. However I never actually released any of them in the android market mainly because they were quick and dirty apps that fit my needs but perhaps would not be appealing to the general public. One such app that I quickly wrote over a couple of weekends is a XBMC remote. The media center that I use at home is XBMC and I have always wanted to have more control and faster access to my media. Using my remote to navigate through the menus is not as fast. Especially when I wanted to queue a lot of music it is very slow. So I wrote this nice little app called "XBMC remote" for my android phone to control XBMC from anywhere :). Give it a try. Search for "xbmc" in android market and install it if you use XBMC as your media center. When you first launch the app you will start with this screen. You will have to setup your web server address, username and password (if required) by ...

Installing Boxee on Gentoo: my experience

You have probably heard of Boxee and Gentoo (come on). I wanted to give Boxee a try, because of all the movies and tv shows that I can watch for free. I have already switched from Freevo to xbmc (which is a story in itself) as my primary media center. Since boxee is a fork of xbmc I thought I might give it a try. Why not? Because xbmc was so easy to compile and install. I did not have any problem compiling the latest code from subversion. I registered and downloaded the latest code from Boxee's website. There is no link to svn and so I downloaded version 0.9.11.5591. The compile was pretty simple 1. Untar the downloaded file 2. autoconf 3. ./configure 4. make -j3 However the compile was not successful. The first problem I ran into was this compile error: XAPP_MC.cpp:12:20: error: bxcurl.h: No such file or directory To solve it, I googled around and found the solution in the boxee forums. I had to make minor modifications to the following Makefiles xbmc/Makefile SRCS += BoxeeAuthen...